The key to successful writing is selling out to Oprah.

Does this blog make me look fat?

Meta-Blog

May 18th, 2010

I have been blogging and reading other blogs for several years now. One of my absolute favorite blogs is http://www.2birds1blog.com/. It is a comedy blog written by two people from D.C. and it is hysterical. I like the idea of blogging, but the popularity of blogging is a double edged sword. The massive amount of blogs that are out there to sift through is overwhelming. Blogging is very accessible, and as a byproduct there is a lot of poor quality writing floating around the web. Every time I read “your stupid” it is like someone is shoving push pins into my eyes. Stay-at-home-mom blogs are also like nails on a chalkboard to me. Yes, babies are cute, and they’re a lot of hard work, but I don’t want to read that little Joey’s circumcision scar is healing nicely or Kay-Kay made a boom-boom under the coffee table. To each their own, I suppose. On a positive note, the accessibility of blogging enables people from all walks of life to give you a window into their lives and there is a lot of interesting information out there. From the course readings, I found that there are blog search engines that help you sift through the blogs and find some that interest you. I found that google has a blog specific search engine, http://blogsearch.google.com/ .
In the reading material for class, I encountered http://bloglines.com . This site allows you to compile all of the blogs and news that you read online into one application, to save you the extra clicks. I am not sure how I feel about this website. On one hand, I guess that if you really have absolutely no life and feel the need to be constantly updated on the thousands of blogs that you follow, so that you can live vicariously through the people writing them, this could be a useful site. I just think that it is taking lazy to the next level. To me, it’s like no-rub contact solution. Are we really too lazy to rub our contact lenses for fifteen seconds? If so, I guess we are really too lazy to go to individual websites to read updated content. Maybe that’s just the hold-out-fuddy-duddy in me talking, maybe this is internet gold that I just can’t appreciate yet.

3 Responses to “Meta-Blog”

1. ewuepper says:

I don’t know… if I had subscribed to a news blog, a technology blog, some comic blog and all my friends blogs, I might like to be able to go to one site for updates instead of checking each one every day to see if they made a new post, especially if I am using the guest connection on campus which takes months to load just one page.

2. slang says:

I am new to blogging and now am really excited to see there is a world of potential right here at my fingertips. I appreciate your words of wisdom about blogging being a “double edged sword” because I am definitely not interested about reading about rants and raves of internet users especially the ones who cyber bully because it distasteful and lacks respect for the reader.
    ps. the image test of the puppy is so cute!

3. […] to the end). For today’s lesson on RSS feeds, I had to give Bloglines another shot. In my first blog for this course, you can see that I was not too keen on the idea. Today, I was warming up to the idea, and that can […]

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.