The key to successful writing is selling out to Oprah.

Does this blog make me look fat?

Second Life? No Thanks, I’m Too Busy With First Life

May 29th, 2010

Our assignment on Thursday was to join the game Second Life. Prior to this assignment, I thought that Second Life was fabricated for the television show, The Office.

To me, the title seems to be a misnomer, as it implies that the players also have a first life. In many cases, it seems that players forego having a “real” life for the fantasy of their “Second Life.” I tried to go into this assignment with an open mind, but given my wholehearted disdain for games such as World of Warcraft and Second life, this was a major challenge. I will admit, the technology is pretty amazing, and in theory it has the possibility to entertain me. In practice, I just can’t get into it. I can honestly think of at least a thousand more worthwhile uses of my time than playing this ridiculous simulation of life.

Second Life was mildly entertaining to me, but it was probably not for the reasons that the creators of the game intended. Somehow I took all of my avatar’s clothing off and could not figure out how to replace it. Then I discovered that I could fly in the game, so I flew around naked for a little while. I eventually figured out how to put clothes on, donned a ball gown (on my male avatar) and flew to some “Faerie Island.” While I was on this island, I was “eavesdropping” on a chat conversation. A girl had lost her avatar’s hair and didn’t know how to retrieve it. She seemed truly beside herself as she sobbed over her keyboard “If I don’t get my hair back, how will I ever get a husband?!” I had to butt into the conversation at this point and ask if people actually got married inside the game. She told me that they do, and that she was getting old and needed to catch a husband soon so that they could have babies. Virtual babies. Jesus H. Christ. I suppose I should be grateful that this girl is not reproducing in the real world and passing her sub-standard DNA on to another generation, thus contributing to the de-evolution of the human species. Instead, I am just sad for her.

I understand the need for some outlet for frustration or enactment of fantasy for some people, but I am just not one of those people. I am stuck in front of a computer enough at work and for school, I don’t want to spend any more time hunched over a glowing screen in my free time. I guess I’m a purist, in that I think that life should be lived primarily on Earth and not in cyberspace.

If you would like to spend your hard earned money and limited existence on this planet piloting a digital person through a fake world with other digital people, you can join here. If you would like to live life to the fullest, you should get out into the world and experience it, Orbitz.com can help.

2 Responses to “Second Life? No Thanks, I’m Too Busy With First Life”

1. anna says:

Hey now. Some of us spend a lot of time worrying about our ticking biological virtual clock, and if we’ll find a virtual husband in time to get virtually knocked up so we can have virtual babies. Don’t make fun.

Seriously though, you seem to really hate that game. Just because people get too into it doesn’t mean the game itself is inherently flawed, does it? It’s like how some people can enjoy Harry Potter without wearing a cape every day or yelling “expelliarmus” at their friends. It all depends on level of dedication.

2. amaddox says:

I don’t know if I would say there is anything inherently wrong with the game, it’s just not my cup of tea. I guess it just depends on what the individual values. Good point, I think my opinion is definitely colored by my general hatred of online gaming.

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.