The key to successful writing is selling out to Oprah.

Does this blog make me look fat?

Here a Tube, There a Tube, Everywhere a YouTube

June 2nd, 2010

It amazes me how many times in my academic career (as an English major) that I have to hear the words YouTube and Twilight. It seems like a minimum of once a day that one of these is mentioned during class discussion. Generally Twilight is only mentioned as a reference to something wildly popular that holds no literary merit (even though everyone in class probably keeps a copy under their pillow next to their copy of Tiger Beat with Rob Pattinson on the cover). I have used YouTube in several presentations, and I am always shocked by the little twinkle in the professor’s eye as I cue up my thirty-five second clip. Is this a scholarly source? Probably not, but it is a great way to incorporate multimedia into your presentation. English professors love it when you think outside the box (and inside the “tube”).

I have uploaded one video to YouTube in the past. It is a clip of my daughter singing when she was about four, and she is now mortified by it. (The filming was very similar to The Blair Witch, so if you’re prone to motion sickness I wouldn’t watch the following clip).
It is a bit long, I probably should have edited it before I uploaded but I am totally clueless when it comes to video editing software. In today’s lesson I learned that I can easily edit videos via my computer’s Imovie.

Another way videos are shared online is on Hulu. I have an account there and I subscribe to my favorite shows, so the site automatically add them to my cue as they are posted on Hulu, such as 30 Rock and The Office. All of the shows there are free to watch, and they carry a lot of content from the major networks.

One Response to “Here a Tube, There a Tube, Everywhere a YouTube”

1. justine says:

I do find it funny how YoutTube has become a household name and as you have mentioned, a classroom phenomenon. I find myself constantly looking for things on the site, looking for a music video or something of the sort.
    I don’t really find the videos of someone being injured or randomly singing along to a song that funny. However, dancing to a popular song does make me giggle. It also just makes me want to get up and dance myself.

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.