The key to successful writing is selling out to Oprah.

Does this blog make me look fat?

Survey says…

June 8th, 2010

Today we examined collaborative spaces in “the cloud.” “The cloud” is a place of virtually unlimited space that exists on servers, via the internet. I signed up for Google Docs, a place online that you can collaborate with others on documents, spreadsheets, slideshow presentations, etc. I wish that someone had told me of its existence before I spent a hundred and fifty bucks on Microsoft office. It has all of the functionality I need to create projects for work and school, and it is all online so I can access it from anywhere. Best of all, it costs my favorite amount, nothing. I created a survey using Google Docs. The data gathered from this survey could help stop global warming.
Alright, this survey is worthless for anything but the practice it gave me with Google Docs, but there are very useful applications of the program and it is well worth checking out. Once you have it down, convince your friends and neighbors, because the ability to share things via this platform ceases to exist if others refuse to use it. I wish I had known about this tool in previous semesters. I have spent hours at the library co-authoring papers and collaborating on powerpoint presentations, when I could have done the same thing from home and avoided a drive to campus in traffic, a walk from the scary parking garage all the way across campus, and the time spent waiting for inconsiderate group members to show up.

3 Responses to “Survey says…”

1. anna says:

Do you think participating in these surveys counts as a comment? 😉

2. Nate says:

I like the way that your neurons link to each other. I’m very curious to know how people answer your survey, though I’m not sure many will respond =(. Oh well. Google docs is amazing. What I would love to see happen is that all of what we do on our computers would go to the cloud and then we would just have to access it. I use a lot of music recording software and I think it would be amazing if there was a way to do all of my music stuff on line. I have a dream that music creation would be more collaborative and if it was all stored in the cloud it could be. Nice post!

3. justine says:

I would have to say I enjoyed your little survey. I am curious as to how many people finished that response with the rest of the Peter riddle. I must admit I was tempted, but my need to be correct made me answer it properly with the square root of Pi. And even though I was aware I would never see the results, I was forced to finish it, because I have a habit of doing surveys when they are in front of me.
    And I will admit, for the sake of being honest, I cheated and used Google. Oops.

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.