The key to successful writing is selling out to Oprah.

Does this blog make me look fat?

“Your [sic] stupid”

June 9th, 2010

Today’s lesson was on forums. In my opinion, forums are the least reliable source of information on anything (except for perhaps proof of inbreeding). Take, for example this “You Know Your Stupid When” forum . You know you’re stupid when you don’t know what a contraction is? I am human and I make typos. I don’t know every grammar and punctuation rule inside and out, but things that I perceive to be pretty basic in written English are constantly misused and abused on these forums. If you can’t spell it, you’re not a credible source. If you can’t spell it with spell check, may the sweet Lord have mercy on your soul. This isn’t just a pet peeve of mine. It has grown so large that I need a peeve zoo to contain it. Yes, I sound like an old man shaking his cane at the sky, “You whippersnappers! Why don’t you proofread your forum posts?” I can’t help it. If you are going to claim that English is your first language, learn how to speak it. At least this guy has an excuse. He is from Poland and his English is far superior to many native speakers on the Internet Wasteland of Laziness. Don’t think that I’m saying that the problem is limited to forums. Chat rooms, micro-blogging, text messaging, it’s everywhere. I argue that forums are a petri dish upon which the bacteria of laziness and illiteracy multiply. My message isn’t that we should do away with forums. I love the concept of an easily accessible exchange of ideas; ideas that are properly spelled, punctuated, and proofread. There is help in the way of forum reform, check out this book, Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

And that is what grinds my gears.

P.S. Won’t it be ironic when someone finds a typo in this post? I’m waiting for it.

3 Responses to ““Your [sic] stupid””

1. ernie says:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves! Oh yes – the Rigsby influence.

2. justine says:

I completely agree about the typos that have come to be second nature to society. I feel as though it might kill people if they reread what they write. It is part of why I have come to be such an ogre with technology. It seems that all the new ways of communication only make it easier for people to misspell or just completely ignore grammar rules.
    My biggest grammar pet peeves are when people write ‘your’ for ‘you are’ or ‘there’ for ‘their.’
    IT DRIVES ME BATTY!!!!

3. karlc says:

I agree. On forums, it’s irritating to see people post with a ton of typos or a “wall of text”. I will admit though, my grammar can be bad sometimes too. Though I do think it can also partly depend on the audience you are talking to, whether you are chatting to friends on AIM or in a chat room (in which people will not hesitate to say plz or kay and stuff like that). However, I actually never use those abbreviations or spellings ever. On a forum, spelling will always make you look more intelligent and people will believe you more.

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.